Students and Young People
Sports Leaders UK Dance Leadership Course Level 2
Re*Flex Dance Company (2009)
Photographer, Nathan Blaker
Dance in Devon is committed to increasing the understanding of the benefits of dance on the lives of young people and is keen to support young dancers across the county in a multitude of roles. We offer opportunities, resources and training, and support to make Youth Dance in Devon the best that it can be.
Devon Youth Dance Company
DYDC is an opportunity for young people, both male and female, age 14 -18 to experience working in an innovative dance company with professional dance leaders. Each year there are Company auditions and a taster workshop, followed by a series of rehearsals, and opportunities to perform across the county and possibly nationally.
email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01392 385214 to find out more.
Plymouth Youth Dance Company
PYDC is an auditioned company of 16 young skilled, dynamic dancers. Artistically directed by Jules Laville, PYDC produce high quality, original dance works using a profusion of the arts which has previously included film, trapeze and live music. For information on PYDC please contact the Box Office on (01752) 267131 or email@example.com
Youth Dance Academy
The Youth Dance Academy in Exeter offers 20-25 young talented dancers from Somerset, Devon and Cornwall, the opportunity to train with high-calibre professionals.
The Youth Dance Academy is the Centre for Advanced Training (CAT) in dance for the south west and is part of a network of national dance organisations supported by the Department for Children Schools and Families, Music and Dance scheme. There are currently nine CATs specialising in dance across the country.
The Exeter pilot programme is managed by Swindon Dance working in partnership with Dance South West.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org / 01793 600701
South West Youth Dance Network Sponsored By Dance South West
The South West Youth Dance Network (SWYDN) connects up young people across the region, giving you the chance to share experiences, learn about regional and national opportunities, support one another and receive advice and guidance about progressing your dance career to the next level.
The SWYDN is co-ordinated by a motivated and enthusiastic core group of young people aged 16-19, representing each county and city in the South West. These young people act as ambassadors for youth dance in the South West region, helping to inspire, motivate and communicate information to other young people in their area.
Members of the forum devise their own activity programme which includes residential weekends, workshops with professional artists, social networking, fundraising, event management. In addition they receive one to one mentoring to support their professional development, including the option to work towards their Gold Arts Award.
Click here for Devon Youth Dance Ambassador Facebook page
Click here for more details on the SWYDN
Made possible by Dance South West
Youth Dance Englands Guide To Careers In Dance
Did you know that out of the 30,000 people employed in the dance sector, only 2,500 are performers?
To help young people who are considering a career in dance, Youth Dance England have put together a very useful Guide to Careers in Dance.The guide provides information on the wide variety of career options available, from what each role involves, to what training might be needed to reach these professional goals. The guide also includes a selection of case studies, which give a valuable insight into some successful people’s career paths.
For more information and to download the free guide, click here.
Opportunities in the South West to develop and continue dance training at further and higher education include
Foundation Degree's in Dance Perfomance and Community Dance based at-
City College of Bristol
This is a 2 year course which will provide you with the skills and opportunities to come out as a professional dance artist. These include-
- Explore the potential of the body and develop strong technical skills for contemporary dance theatre performance and movement-based theatre.
- Explore new ways of choreographing and devising dance theatre work.
- Perform in works created by professional practitioners.
- Build a professional portfolio of experience gained (as a performer, dance theatre maker, dance film maker, workshop leader, etc ) whilst studying in this distinctive environment.
OR a 3 year degree course in Dance Theatre and Chroeography based at
University College Falmouth
A 3 year degree will provide you with a wide and rounded understanding of dance as a profession and contacts for wider career options-
- Dance-theatre and physical theatre: training and choreography
- Integrated dance practice
- Dance on screen , video and editing skills
- Workshop skills and community dance practice
- Extra-curricular training opportunities through master classes, residencies ,scheduled weekly classes and performance platforms
- Work based learning opportunities and focus on developing a career portfolio
- Professional engagement with dance practitioners, artists and leading dance organisations
- A vibrant performance and research culture hosting artists and researchers of international standing contributing to conferences, symposiums , post show talks ,practitioner talks , and lecture series all feature on the curriculum.